Here is an old
village, classified parmis the most beautiful villages of France.
Whereas houses wind around the cliff,
the castle, dominates the valley
of its impressive bulwarks. He faces his
old rival, Castelnaud, hung on the other bank of
the Dordogne. (See the map: click here)
Go to the castle,
the stroll in alleys in the enormous pavements between noble
houses the beautiful stone of which changes ceaselessly color,
following the whims of the setting sun...
The castle of Beynac: one of the
most filmed also (Joan of Arc, the Visitors 2) is one of the sites the
most visited by the region. Acquired in pathetic state in
1961 by its current owner, M.Grosso, who patiently rehabilitated
imposes upon all the valley since its 150m of height.
In the interieur of the castle, we visit the immense
arched room of diagonal ribs, as well as the kitchen (reorganized partially
by the decorators of Luc Besson) and a room
of weapon. The panorama since the summit of the donjon is exceptional. The visit ends under a barbacane.
- The archaeological park:
life-size Reconstruction of environments of the Neolithic
at the iron age, with their workshops. Days of
experimental archaeology every year with Easter and educational workshops
on Wednesdays in summer.
The cavities of the cliff
are misleading, contrary to Roque-Gageac, it
trés occasionally were occupied only. The village
really establishes only in 1th century BC.
But it is 12th Century, with the construction
of the castle, when the village becomes important from a
strategic point of view. The Dordogne making a right
angle, it was easy to watch the traffic from
the fortress. Beynac establishes then with Biron,
Bourdeilles and Mareuil, one of four baronies of
Périgord. Richard "Coeur de Lion" invests the castle
at the end with 12th Century, the castle is confided to
sinister Mercadier, captain of weapons whose bands
plunder the region for England. In
1214, Simon de Montfort, the champion of the crusade
against the Cathar heresy, having seized the castle
with his usual violence, begins his dismantling
to satisfy in an a little exaggerated way the complaints
of the archbishop of Bordeaux and the complaints of the abbot
of Sarlat. The Lord of Beynac, reconstructed the castle
such as it reached us.
At musical nights of
Beynac-en-Périgord: one week in July. Concert
of chamber music in the church of Beynac or around.
Information to the tourist information office.
Big Gallic fair
on August 13,14th and 15th, in the archaeological park..
Fireworks on August
During the One
hundred years war, the Dordogne marks the limit of the
English and French influences: Beynac, in the hands of the English
people in 1360, then French in 1368, and Castelnaud (opposite)
under English dominion, exchange skirmishes
feet of the fortress of Beynac, the village, organized
in districts of craftsmen (the barris) joining
on the port, lives on the traffic of
lighters, which stop to Beynac in their
long road towards Bergerac and Ambès. The
business, the fishing, the agriculture, the culture
of the hemp and the building industry (work
of the stone and the wood) remain prosperous
of the Revolution in the middle of 19th Century.
The invention of the railroad will sound the
end of the story.
August 15th, 1827, hamlet
of Cazenac, situated in 5 km, is connected with
Beynac by prefectorial decision, ratified
by a royal decree.